Heel Pain

I have so much pain in the right heel of my foot. It hurts the most when I first wake up. I work in a business office and have been wearing high heels for years and years. I’ve recently stopped wearing them because the pain is so bad. It’s strange that it’s only in my right heel. I have to ice my heel every evening. I’m not sure what the cause is, but is there help for me other than surgery? Should I be seeing a chiropractor or a foot Doctor?

Tamarra October 16, 2019

Questions Answered by Leading Local Doctors

Farshad Bathaee, DPM
Newport Beach, Podiatrist
Hi Tamara,
Heel pain is one of the most common foot problems we see in the office. Heel pain otherwise known as plantar fasciitis is inflammation of a ligament that is attached to the heel bone and becomes thick and irritated with repetitive trauma. Even though surgery is one way to address the problem, it is rarely used and there are many other options to treat this issue. Treatment options include injection therapy with steroids and biologics, physical therapy modalities, and custom inserts and devices to fit inside your shoes for long term treatment. It is best to see a foot specialist, a podiatrist, to get a confirmed diagnosis so that a proper treatment plan can implemented.
Dr. Bathaee
Guest Writer